One of the hardest parts for me becoming plant-based is giving up TACOS!! I just didn’t think I could do it, so I had to figure it out! Not only tacos, but I am a major sour cream lover. How was I going to live without sour cream? SMH. Well, I figured it out. I am not a tofu lover or maybe I just haven’t figured out how to cook it right yet. Most tacos recipes I noticed are full of veggies and as much as I love veggies, let’s face it, they are NOT the star of a TACO! I talked to an old lady in Sprouts and she told me to try Tempeh. Bless her heart, she really sat there and explained to me how to cook it and everything.
If you’re looking for delicious vegetarian tacos that don’t consist completely of vegetables, then these tacos are for you!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 6-8 tacos
Tempeh Taco Filling
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups tempeh
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste 45 mL
- 2 Tbsp water 30 mL
- 8 taco shells hard or soft (I still like to fry my own shells)
- Optional yums
- Hot sauce or Taco sauce
- Cilantro or parsley
- If you like it spicy, add jalapeños
- Vegan sour cream (easy to make in a blender using raw cashews, water, tangy lemon juice and apple cider vinegar, salt to taste)
- Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium/high heat.
- Roughly grate tempeh using a box grater, then add to the pan. Cook until it starts to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the spices, salt, garlic, and tomato paste. Cook another 5 minutes, then add the water and cook just until water has evaporated.
Now that I got tacos down; I have to figure out how in the world I am going to survive without PIZZA!! For more great Vegan friendly recipes check out www.going2natural.com.